Coronavirus service updates in East Herts

Frequently asked questions about what is happening to the services we provide during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It is important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others.

Please see the below drop down options for guidance on services in the East Herts district and for all up to date Coronavirus information in England visit the Coronavirus (COVID-19) page on the Government website.

For more information or to speak to someone at East Herts Council please see our Contact Us page.

If you would like to know more about vaccination Walk-in Centres, Boosters or vaccinations for under 18's, please see COVID-19 vaccination information on Healthier Future website. This is updated weekly and will give all the up to date information about vaccinations in Hertfordshire. 

How can the council help residents on the road to recovery?

We've put together a guide on how we can help you get out-and-about again. More information is in our Wellbeing-focused Covid Recovery Support Guide

I have been told to self-isolate, is there any support available?

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period. 

More information is available on our Test and Trace Support payment page.

I am shielding, what support is available for me?

If you’re shielding and have recently received a letter from the government, please complete the shielding support form on the GOV.UK website to:

  • access priority supermarket deliveries
  • ask for someone to contact you about any local support that’s available
  • update your contact details.

If you can’t access the form, or you’d like to discuss support options, call HertsHelp on 0300 123 4044, email or visit Herts Help website.

What can I do to help support vulnerable people?

#TeamHerts Volunteering is working in partnership with Hertfordshire County Council to collect the names and details of all those who are interested in volunteering to assist those affected by coronavirus.

Self-isolation can be a difficult and lonely time for many. Volunteering your time to offer some basic support can make this period a lot easier.

Volunteers can help by dropping off some groceries and picking up some essential supplies. Other roles include offering a friendly voice over the phone or even giving basic support in a care setting.

To register your interest please complete the online volunteering form the #TeamHerts Volunteering website.


What is the council doing to support businesses

The government has announced a number of measures to support public services, people and businesses through this period of disruption caused by COVID-19.

To help businesses with their cash flows, we have suspended our normal payment terms of 30 days and are now paying invoices as soon as they have been approved for payment.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will provide updates as to how this could impact upon businesses in East Herts.

More information is available on our coronavirus help for businesses page. 

For further guidance to support employers and businesses please visit the website.

Someone in my workplace has tested positive for Coronavirus, what do I do?

A coronavirus outbreak is more than one confirmed case of COVID-19 among workers or visitors to a workplace within 14 days. Depending on the type of organisation, this may also include 'possible' cases of coronavirus.

If someone in your workplace has tested positive for coronavirus, please let us know by  completing our online coronavirus outbreak form You must also contact the East of England Health Protection Team on 0300 303 8537.

Does my business need to close?

For information and advice please read our Coronavirus and Opening Safely page.

How do I raise concerns about the way a business is operating?

If you're worried about the way a business is operating please complete our online form to report your concerns.

What is happening with licences, registrations etc.?

All licensing applications continue to be processed through our website. Current licence holders who are renewing their existing licences are advised to allow extra time for their application to be processed.

Can I still access Launchpad?

Launchpad is back open for new and existing members. 

If you are interested in becoming a member of Launchpad, visit the website for more information. 

You can find advice and guidance on business support by visiting our Coronavirus help for businesses page

Will there be any disruptions to bin collections?

Your waste collections are currently continuing as normal.

Please continue to ensure that your bin is at the property boundary by 7am on your normal collection date.

If you think that your bin has been missed please report it and leave the bin at your property boundary. 

Our bulky waste collection service is still available and you can book a collection now. 

What is happening with street cleansing and litter bin collections?

Currently street cleansing services are operating as normal. However, should a high reduction in workforce occur – other services may have to be prioritised. If you have any concerns please email or call 01279 655261.

If I become ill, what should I do with my used tissues etc.?

Personal waste (e.g. used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths can be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags. These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste within your own room. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin. Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.

Further guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection is available on the website.

Are your leisure centres open?

Currently guidelines allow us to keep play areas and parks open. However, please ensure that you are following government guidelines and self-isolating should you or anyone in your household have symptoms of coronavirus

Are parks and play areas open?

Currently guidelines allow us to keep play areas and parks open. However, please ensure that you are following government guidelines and self-isolating should you or anyone in your household have symptoms of coronavirus

Are skate parks open?

Currently guidelines allow us to keep play areas and parks open. However, please ensure that you are following government guidelines and self-isolating should you or anyone in your household have symptoms of coronavirus

Is Hertford Theatre open?

Hertford Theatre is now closed for refurbishment.

For up to date information about the theatre follow @Hertfordtheatre on Twitter or  Hertford Theatre on Facebook

How can I pay my Council Tax if the council's offices are closed?

There are several different ways that you can pay your Council Tax. If you would like to check your balance, the easiest way would be to register for our online account.

I've had a change in employment because of Coronavirus, and I'm struggling with Council Tax payments - what can I do?

If you're struggling to make Council Tax payments, please get in touch as soon as possible.

Information on the support available and our contact details is available on our Council Tax and Coronavirus page

What should I do if I need help with my housing benefit and/or council tax support?

For information and advice on your housing benefit and/or council tax support, or what financial support you may be eligible for please email or call 01279 655261.

What is happening with the Housing Options/Homelessness Service?

We are now providing the service for our Housing Options and Homelessness in a different way.

Full details of the service are available on our Housing Options Service and Coronavirus page.

Are you still processing planning applications?

Yes,  we are continuing  to process planning applications and are making appropriate adjustments.

There may be some delay and disruption to service delivery and timescales but we are working to keep this to a minimum.

Duty planning is being provided on the telephone on 01279 655261 and by email

Is the local land charges service still running?

Following the Government announcement about the lockdown, the East Herts Council Land Charges team are all now working from home.

This means that we are currently unable to process cheque payments, but we can now take payment by credit or debit card over the phone. Please email your search requests in as normal, with the addition of a contact telephone number for the card holder on your email. We will then check that the plan and address match our records, and once we are happy that the search is ready to be logged, we'll call you for payment. There are only two members of the Land Charges team with authorised access to the payment system, so please bear with us!

Alternatively, you can submit your searches electronically via NLIS or TM SearchChoice, as our process for these search requests remains unaffected. Thank you for your patience during this time.

Are car parks in East Herts still open?

Our car parks are still open.

For the latest information please visit our Coronavirus and parking page.

Will council meetings be taking place as normal and will public and press access be maintained?

Our committee meetings are returning to the council chamber - if you wish to attend a meeting at Wallfields please email: 

Spaces are limited due to restrictions. All meetings will be live streamed to ensure that all meetings are accessible.


Are Farmers Markets still running?

Our Farmers Markets are currently taking place as normal. 

For more information visit our markets page

Source: Find out more about Recite Me Last updated: 13/12/2021 16:01:21